The Kudumbashree Mission evolved from the Urban Basic Services for the Poor (UBSP) project implemented in Alappuzha Municipality in 1992. What started as an urban initiative grew to cover the entire State of Kerala.
1. Strengthening the organisation to enable it to distinguish and correlate its roles as
a)agency for delivery of centrally sponsored programmes and
b)independent community network.
2. Focus of enhancing microfinance and bank linkage.
3. Co-ordinate Asraya Projects.
4. Develop and support balasabhas.
5. Facilitate cluster development committees to monitor social infrastructure projects.
6. Provide a support structure for social housing.
7. Co-ordinate local marketing options for Kudumbashree entrepreneurs.
8. Take up the various programmes and special projects conceived by the mission, municipality, or CDS.